Applying for Residency

If you are an out-of-state graduate student, you are REQUIRED to apply for residency or you will be responsible for out-of-state tuition after the first year!!

Waiver of Out-of-State Tuition (tuition remission). For all out-of-state students on an assistantship and with U.S. citizenship or residence visas, the in-state tuition is paid by the assistantship for two years for Master’s students and for three years for Doctoral students. The Graduate School can grant a waiver of out-of-state tuition only for the first year of residency. It is the responsibility of these students to apply for North Carolina residency immediately upon their arrival on campus. Failure to apply for North Carolina residency in a prompt manner will result in the student being subject to paying out-of-state tuition after the one-year waiver expires.

Establishment of North Carolina Resident Status. You should begin establishing your NC residency immediately upon arrival to NC State. The process is done through the  North Carolina Residency Determination Service (RDS).  You cannot apply for residency until you have been in North Carolina for 365 days.

You can’t apply for residency until you’ve lived in NC for 365 days (as evidenced by the move-in day on your lease), but some of the things you should be doing as soon as you can include:

updating your driver license to a NC license (the DMV is continually backed-up, so try walking in early in the morning or scheduling an appointment soon after you move)

registering your car in NC

registering to vote in NC

Filing your taxes as a part-year resident rather than a non-resident is also important!

Please visit the Residency for Tuition Purposes page for complete information on how to establish legal residency for tuition purposes.

(most information copied from